Lot of Visitors

Sunday 28 August 2011

Puma faas-300





The Faas 300 is a lightweight neutral racer for tempo runs and racing, inspired by the rhythm of the world’s fastest country — Jamaica. It’s constructed with BioRide Technology, an integrated system that gives you a more natural running rhythm and enhanced speed. The slight rocker shape allows for a biomechanically efficient stride with an effortless toe-off. The flex grooves built across the tooling increase responsiveness while the groove in the heel reinforces stability on impact.
The Faas 300 takes design cues from early 70s steeplechase spikes and features an air mesh upper for breathability and perfed medial and lateral sides. The EverRide and EverTrack in the outsole add cushioning and durability where it’s needed, while the molded KMSsockliner sculpts to your foot for a fit that feels just right.
Much to Bonnie's chagrin, I picked up another pair of sneaks today, the Puma Faas 300.  As my excuse, over the past few years of running, my foot has gotten progressively larger in size.  I used to be a size 11 1/2 dress, size 12 running shoe.  My sizes have gradually crept up to size 12 dress, and 12 1/2 to 13 running shoe!

The unfortunate side effect of this is that I've had to donate a bunch of older casual and dress shoes over the winter because I can't squeeze into them anymore!  The upside is I get to go shoe shopping to replenish my footwear!  Plus, I'm doing it for the blog! 

I decided to pick up the Pumas as a casual shoe to walk around in, as they look pretty cool.  Puma describes their new Faas line as follows:

"The Faas 300 is a lightweight neutral racer for tempo runs and racing, inspired by the rhythm of the world’s fastest country — Jamaica [insert Usain Bolt plug here!].  It’s constructed with BioRide Technology, an integrated system that gives you a more natural running rhythm and enhanced speed. The slight rocker shape allows for a biomechanically efficient stride with an effortless toe-off. The flex grooves built across the tooling increase responsiveness while the groove in the heel reinforces stability on impact."

Puma also has a Faas 250, which is even more lightweight, and a Faas 500, which is more beefy.  The higher the number, the more support.  I tried on the Faas 250, but they felt much too narrow and flimsy.  They feel like a flimsy racing flat.  You can see in Puma's website pic that the upper is a very loose mesh.  You can see your socks and feet through them!  I did not bother with the 500, as I'm not looking for another support shoe at this time.  

The Faas 300 are much more narrow than the Minimus.  Also, unlike the Minimus, the Faas has an insole.  The Pumas are narrow to the point that I can feel my foot hanging over the middle of the insole.  They are also a bit tight on my foot around the sides.  It's doubtful I can actually run in these.  I may try running just for testing sake, but plan to keep these as a casual low-drop shoe that I can walk around in.   I like my Minimus so much for running, that I do not want to walk around in them -- I will keep them for running use only. 

The shoe itself is very light, at 7.2 oz.  The materials seem quite a step down from the Minimus, feeling meshy and flimsy.  You would not want to wear the Pumas barefoot, as the materials feel like they would chafe.  In comparison, the Minimus has nice smooth, soft touch materials inside the shoe that feel much more technical and of higher quality.  The lack of an insole also makes it more no-sock friendly (though I always run in socks).

I am not sure how much of a drop the Pumas have, but they feel similar to the Minimus' 4mm drop.  However, the midsole of the Puma is much firmer.  From walking around the house, the Minimus has a plusher feel and ride.

I will try the Pumas out for a short run for more detailed impressions.  Puma has a 30 day return guarantee on their new Faas line, regardless of condition, so I can decide later whether I want to keep them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment